Thursday, January 27, 2011

Overcoming Hate

You know that one chore that you completely hate doing? You know...the one you just CANNOT find joy in. For some it is laundry, for some it is vacuuming, while for others it is cleaning the bathroom. Well, for me it is unloading the dishwasher. That is right. I HATE UNLOADING THE DISHWASHER. This is an unfortunate thing for me to hate for two reasons.
1. I love to cook (which requires dishes).
2. Andrew loves to bake (which also requires dishes).
oh and there is a three.
3. we have company (like 30ish students) over at least once a week...and we cook/bake for them.

So this is what I decided to do today.
Let me start with Last night...the dishwasher was full when I got home from work, so I ran the dishes while I cooked green curry with chicken and made guacamole for the students and Andrew made (From Scratch) peanut butter oatmeal cookies. These three dishes filled my sink with yet another load of dishes filled with 2 mixing bowls and cookie sheets. ugh.

so my point was...TODAY...I got home from work and looked at my sink, utterly disgusted, I hate dishes in my sink...it makes the whole room look dirty...and decided, "I should not hate this so much. I bet it takes me more time to think about cleaning this mess than it actually does to clean it!"
True story, this happened.
So I set a timer and got to it.
Do you wanna know how long it actually took me to unload that ridiculous machine?
FOUR MINUTES AND SIX SECOND! That is like noooooooo time at all.
And now I know, I have no reason to hate on my beautiful dishwasher that saves me so much time. Have I found joy in unloading...HECK NO...am I willing to seek the opportunity to appreciate the fact that I have a dishwasher and food and dishes and overcome the hate?
Yes.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: