Friday, February 4, 2011

I told you I was talking...Catfish (SPOILER ALERT)

Here it is. My follow-through from last week.
Nev, Rel and Henry are friends and Rel and Henry are filmmakers. They film life, as Nev gets the first painting from Abby and her family begins corresponding with Nev, the two (Rel and Henry) Decide to point the focus of their filming on Nev and this relationship he is starting with Abby's older sister Megan.

If you haven't watched it, please go and do so then come back and pick up the reading here.

There are a few points in the film where I sat completely amazed at these men.
When they realize that things aren't as they seem, they begin to call out Megan, but then decide that they will just go and confront. This is maybe a normal reaction, but what happened next was so unreal to me.
When they show up on Angela's Porch (this is Abby's Mom) she just hugs Nev for so long...AND HE HUGS HER BACK. As the story unfolds it is Henry who says something along the lines of "I don't want to embarrass her". This was such a telling statement of the integrity carried by the guys in the car. I tried to think about what It would feel like to be them, to be Nev and I am fairly certain that I would have led with the questions and followed with making someone feel really, really, remorseful. Yes, I would have guilt tripped the heck out of some one. Or, I may have just started screaming, "Have you no decency?"
So, then Nev finds out that Abby doesn't paint and we see him take a sec to step into the bathroom to recoup and then we see him and his friends playing in the water with the family. What the heck! Guys, then they stayed for 4 or 5 days to have meals with and hang out with the family. I just don't think I have seen this kind of kindness and compassion for someone displayed by a character let alone a real person.
I watched the special feature, which was an interview with the three gentlemen who made the film and I again was shocked by the kindness showed to Angela and her family. In the features, Nev says "I sympathized with her". He said that. He did not say "I felt sorry for her".
I have to say, It challenged my integrity. How would I respond to this? I just have to know...WHAT DID YOU THINK??

1 comment:

Erin Reardon said...

Jar and I just watched it 2 days ago! We thought the SAME thing... he was SO kind to her. I can say, I probably wouldn't have done the same! And I was shocked about the whole Megan thing... it kind of creeped me out!!! Love you!