Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad...a guest post.

Well the time has come again you lucky people...another guest blog post from the husband of the amazing Sarah Beard...Andrew Beard...

Thank you. Glad to be here again. Now I guest blogged awhile back to highlight and honor my amazing mom, Anne Beard. And with the next parental holiday upon us, here I am to honor my pop, Scott Beard. I want to take a few moments to share some reasons I am so thankful to have an amazing father.
-When I was growing up my dad was a traveling sales man. He was often gone Tuesday-Thursday every week. My dad lived this grueling travel schedule to provide for my mom, my two brothers, and myself. Though he was often gone during the week he did everything he could to spend time with us when he was in town. I have vivid memories of family days together, family game nights, and Saturday morning breakfasts together. Even when I was in high school and worked Saturday mornings, my family would all wait for me to get back home so we could eat together. So we could spend quality time with each other and with my dad. I try to spend quality time with family as best as I can because of those special times.

-My dad was a worship leader in addition to being a salesman. Almost every Sunday from Jr. High on I would go with him up to church to get the sound set up. I had no idea at the time that one day I would be a worship leader and would work for a church. His dedication to using his gifts and talents to glorify the Lord have directed the way I live my life.

-My dad has always loved music and theatre. We went to lots of shows and concerts when I was young. With me often singing and dancing, I was enrolled in dance classes. Through dance I had the opportunity to perform at Starlight Theatre in Kansas City, MO. The shows ran for about 10 days and my dad came to every single one of my performances one summer. I remember feeling so loved that he went out of his way to see every performance I did. I want to be supportive and encouraging to others like he has always been for me.

-I don't know all the details, and I don't want to paint an inaccurate picture of true events, so some of the details have been left out. But when I was younger a family friend of my mom and dad shared with me that when she knew my dad in college he was known as a rebel. Apparently, an organization/class he had been in in college had taken a different direction then what many students in the class felt was where it should be going...so my dad led a walk out. How awesome is that? They walked out, dropped the class and then started another student led group with a direction they believed was the best for the group. As of a few years ago (and maybe even still today) that group is still in existence. When I heard that story, I knew that my dad believed in standing up for what is right and doing whatever it takes to make it right. I love that and I hope I have that same courage.

-Growing up I never remember seeing a repair man around the house...unless his name was Scott/Dad. My dad had grown up fixing everything, so he knows how to fix just about everything. I love that about him. Dozens of times over the years I've tried to do projects on my own and I end up calling my dad, because I'm stuck and he knows how to do it...even from a distance. One time in college I was trying to install a fan in an old house I lived in and the wires that hung down from the ceiling did not match what I needed to correctly attach the fan. I called my dad and he knew the color of the wires before I even told him and he knew what to do. Unbelievable. As well, we've spent lots of hours crawling under/leaning over a car which at the time were not necessarily the most thrilling moments of my life, but are great memories of my dad and his determination to accomplish a task. Thank you dad for saving me lots of money and from electrocuting myself.

-After I graduated High School my parents moved to Texas and I went to college in Springfield, MO. Through some crazy turn of events my dad left doing business stuff and stepped into full time ministry. Sarah and I moved to a church in Liberty, MO and then a year later my dad had taken the leap to pastoral ministry and was moved to that same church we were at as the Associate Pastor. So for the last 4 years I've literally shared an office wall with my dad. Getting to see his drive, dedication, and devotion to the Lord and expanding His Kingdom was such a blessing. My dad has amazing gifts of music and leadership. As many of you know a few months back we left that church and moved to TX. We were sad to move on, but knew this was the right move. In the midst of saying goodbye to literally hundreds of friends, students, and church members. I was able to keep it together and not shed a tear the whole time...until I said goodbye to my pop. I knew I would see him again, but saying goodbye to the daily visits was sad. It was an amazing blessing to work with my dad and I wouldn't have changed those 4 years for anything. Now we are at our new place in TX and funny enough, my dad has gotten moved to another church in Hamilton, MO. Once again, he continues to impress me and inspire me with his consistent excitement and dedication to whatever season of life he's in.

-Thanks pop for being the best dad a guy could ask for. Because of you I know what's really important in life. I hope someday if I'm a dad I can be half as great as you. Thanks pop. I love you. Happy Fathers Day...your tie is in the mail...just kidding.

Andrew

Below are a few photos of my Dad and our family. Enjoy, and I hope you all are thankful for your father and/or father figures in your life. Happy Fathers Day.

Here we are dancing in Connecticut...totally normal.
Here are my parents on their wedding day.
Here they are this past Christmas.

1 comment:

Jenn's Travelogue Blog said...

He's a great father-in-law too! Also, I am glad you didn't electrocute yourself either!