Friday, July 22, 2011

life lesson I learned through running

I feel like I am pretty good about knowing my limits and when I need "pushing". I am aware of the need to push by the fact that I am really good about being comfortable. I am actually pretty great at getting to the point where I am "good" whether it be spiritually, physically, socially or creatively, and then I sit there. I sit there till either (by the grace of God) God pushes me, through Andrew, a friend, through music, or in my quiet time, to humble myself and accept the stretching that brings growth.
Lately I have been sitting. I have been sitting physically and spiritually. I feel "good".
I have been running between 2.5-3 miles about 4 or 5 times a week, I have been attending Bible study on Thursday nights, reading books, and have been spending time in prayer and the Word...but I haven't been pushing myself.

Wednesday, I was on a run. I was running and my music was playing and the song "arms open wide" came on. I ended up listening to it like 3 or 4 times. I wanted to shout along with it. It was that time when "all of a sudden you hear it differently"

Take my life I lay it down
At the cross where I am found
All I have I give to You oh God

Take my hands and make them clean
Keep my heart in purity
That I may walk in all You have for me

Oh here I stand
Arms open wide
Oh I am Yours
And You are mine

Take my moments and my days
Let each breath that I take
Be ever only for You oh God

Oh here I stand
Arms open wide
Oh I am Yours
And You are mine

My whole life is Yours
I give it all
Surrendered to Your Name
And forever I will pray
Have Your way
Have Your way

Oh here I stand
Arms open wide
Oh I am Yours
And You are mine

I realized that if my Whole life is the Lords, and I really "Give it all"
I will push myself, because God wants HIS BEST for my life, not my "good".

So, yesterday I pushed myself physically. I ran 4 miles...AND IT SUCKED. I can run 3 pretty easily, I ran 3.3 on Wednesday and it felt great, but yesterday, I went further and faster and it hurt. I even had to walk for 3 blocks. BOO! But I know I am better for it and it will help my grow in my distance and endurance.
As far as Spiritually goes. I am working to stretch. Harder, bolder prayers. Reading the Word with more intention. Actually memorizing those scriptures I write down during my reading.
The refining process is almost always never fun, but is ALWAYS worth it!

Take a listen!


No comments: