Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Out of surgery and out of bed

Well, the procedure was quick and I am officially on my way to health. I appreciate all the advice I got from everyone, I had heard so many things that I asked like 150 questions to the nurse! I think she thought I was crazy because between the questions and my excitement, she couldn't stop laughing. I think we would be friends. Anyway. They rolled me into the OR and it was freezing so they covered me with a warmed blanket. Right when the ENT walked in, he asked if I was doing well, I responded with the Poepel answer, "you can stick me and inject me all you want, as long as I am warm, I don't care." the whole room laughed and about 1.4 seconds later, I was waking up in post-op. I did cry for a second, thanks for the heads up Krista, and my throat hurt like a mother...but 2 slushies, 2 cups of icy water and 2 tsp of percocet I was feeling decent, and I won't lie to you, I was crackin some good jokes! I got home and drank over 200 ounces of water, cause if I wasn't swallowing ice water, I wasn't swallowing! As sleeping time drew near I could feel the swelling starting and I could also feel the scabs (which I know sounds disgusting, but come on people, everyone heals the same way) and my uvula, which is really weird. Even though I was really tired, I tossed and turned till about 3:00, took my medicine at 3:30 and returned to the Land of shut eye at about 4:30, by 6:00 I was just frustrated, I am so swollen that the way I was laying in my bed made me feel like I was choking and then i snored myself awake...which is sort of funny! So I got up and did some good ol' bible reading and checking up on my e-mails and now I am updating you. The funniest thing about this is that I have forgotten to spell went. Every time I have written it since the surgery, I have spelled it wen't. Awesome! Anyway. The plan for today is to not move and my Mom-in-law is taking care of me this morning while Andrew is at staff meeting and then my mom is taking a train in and will be here before I know it. I really think the recovery will be good because I am so positive about it, and after talking to my doctor last night, He called to check on me, he thinks it will be a thing where once I am healed, I will be shocked at how bad I felt before. I said to him, "I know you saw a lot of tonsils today, but what did mine look like?" to which he replied, "Your tonsils were not only shredded with craters, but each one had between 6-8 tonsil stones in them." Which is why we think I will be feeling way better when I am healed. I was just trapping infection. Sick! I had no problems with the anesthesia either. So, overall, other than not really remembering how to swallow, I feel decent enough to walk back and forth to the bathroom. I will post more later, to keep you updated. Thanks for all the prayers and concerns, advice and ideas! you are all wonderful. By the way, the Magic Bullet is amazing, if you are having this operation, or know someone who is, and you want to get them a feel better gift. It is perfect!!


Tramfrau said...

I'm so glad you did well and had no problems! I thought about you constantly. Good for you to keep drinking - it'll keep those scabs soft. Mmmmmm! Hang in there and be patient; like your doc said, you won't believe the difference afterwards.

katie mae said...

hey sarah.

i am glad to hear the surgery went well. i've been thinking of you and praying for you.


krista said...

i'm so glad things are going well! keep those drugs going, and keep drinking! don't push yourself too fast, its a major trauma your body has been through. it will need some time to heal. love you! and glad to be at least a little of assistance :) you're in my heart and prayers.

omamarge said...

your good humor will get you well faster than anything!
love you!
aunt margie