Wednesday, April 25, 2012

a strange, sweet moment

This morning I had to run to the grocery store. I am clearly at the point where you can tell that I am having a baby, so a lot of people make comments or ask about the pregnancy.

Today was the first time I had a stranger touch my belly. And I have to say, it was, at the least, the sweetest moment of my day.

If I don't have too much shopping to do I go to Kroger. Kroger hires adults with special needs. This is all you need to know to be ready for the story.

I was walking to the eggs when I notice a man, probably in his upper 50's, with special needs looking at my belly and then immediately make a b-line for me. I look at him and smile and slow down.
He says to me, "baby?" as he patted his own stomach.
His speech was poor, and I could tell he didn't want to use many words.
"Yeah, its definitely a baby!" I say with a little bit of a laugh.
He reached out toward my stomach and for the first time looks me in the eye and says, "Could I feel it?"
"Of course you can."
He reaches out and places both hands on my stomach, one higher and one lower so he is sort of cupping the baby, "boy or girl?"
"I don't know, we aren't finding out."
"first one?"
"Yep it is."
He said "congratulations", and then walked away.


I finished my shopping and then went to check out. I was checking out and a man was bagging my groceries when this first man came and took over. He just kept looking at my belly and smiling. After my groceries were bagged and I had paid, he said, "can I take this?"
(it is totally normal there for them to walk you out to car with your groceries)
"Of course"
As we walked to the car I asked him how he was doing today, He said, "Great".
"First One?" he asked again.
"Yes it is."
We got to the car and he loaded up the back with my groceries and asked if he could touch it one more time.
"sure," I said. "Its kinda crazy isn't it?"
"its cute. beautiful." he let go and started moving my cart. "good luck, you will be back sometime, right?"
"Absolutely. Have a great day."

And then I left.
I do wish I would have gotten his name, but the truth is, it was just a sweet, sweet moment for me, and I think it was for him too.


looking down at the baby...
I had to stick out my left foot for you to be able to see that I have feet.

No comments: